CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

15 July 2009

Reading List


So, here it is. The stack of books that I am currently perusing. Why "perusing?" Well, unless a book is fiction, I'm not so likely to read it cover-to-cover. I flip through pages and often read my books and magazines backwards.

First, I flip through the pages to see if something catches my eye, then set myself to read that portion, and so on...

We garden every year and since I'm not a real fan of chemicals, we have a few books related to organic gardening, although I don't understand why it is called organic gardening since it was originally the conventional method. What is conventional now, should be renamed "Chemical Crazy Gardening."


The Secret, to some might seem silly and a waste of strange time, but when things were rocky for my at my former job, it helped me re-center and focus on the positive aspects of everything. Now, don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying you'll be dancing around singing to the birds and critters like Snow White, but it can help one rediscover the importance of thinking positively and how in doing so helps to bring about positive change. Give it a go.

The Sorceress, it is the third in a series of books I started reading thinking it might be light reading when I needed a good book, but not one I had to really focus on. I love the Harry Potter series and this is lighter than that, yet has caught the attention of my 9 yr old. It is Youth fiction, however, does have quite a bit of history throughout. Great for young readers or someone who needs a light read. Not every book we read needs to be a great philosophical endeavour.

The Creative Family, by Amanda Soule, seems to be on almost every blog I read, so I thought I should see what all the buzz was about. So far, I'm on the fence about it. I've read most of it, but I felt like I was being spoken AT as if I were not very bright. Sorry to offend anyone, but I have my right to my opinion. The ideas are great and the messages in this book could definitely be repeated daily throughout the world, especially now that so many are taking a long hard look at their lifestyles. So that said, in short, I'm not feeling how it was written, but the information is good.

Healthy Meals for Babies and Toddlers, why not just go out and buy some jarred food? Have you tasted that nonsense? I picked this up for $6.98 at B&N recently and have enjoyed the information and recipes with great photos. I often think the visual content can really make or break an information based or cook book.

Weekend Sewing, by Heather Ross. Yep, another blog buzz book that I thought I should check out. So I did. While I didn't enjoy the $27 price tag, I did resolve to buy it if I saw it at B&N. It was seriously cheaper on eBay, but I wanted to see it while I had a a few days without my LBO's in tow. I'm working on my second project from this book. If you are not willing to wait for the next edition, just be sure to check out the Flickr group and Heather's website for the corrections. And, be sure to check those sites BEFORE you purchase fabric and any notions for these projects. A few mistakes are not on her website, but are listed in the Flickr group.

No comments:

Post a Comment